Zucchini is one of my new favourite vegetables. And mid to late summer is the perfect time of year to take advantage of this delicious summer squash. Not only is it yummy, at around 21 calories per cup it is extremely healthy for you - loaded with fibre, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, lutein and zeaxanthin (which promote healthy eyesight) and manganese. It can be eaten plain, with hummus, in a salad, sautéed in a stir fry, or my new fave... in muffins!
Muffins are such an easy grab and go breakfast, and work perfectly with our crazy morning routine. Today, I'm sharing one of my favourite recipes for lemon & zucchini muffins - flavourful, light and fluffy and most importantly, healthy.
Lemon & Zucchini Muffins
Makes: 12-14 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (approximately 1 medium-sized lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, coarsely grated (approximately 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tin with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, lemon rind and salt in a bowl.
- Mix zucchini, milk, oil, and egg in a separate bowl and stir well.
- Add to flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove muffins from tin and let cool on a wire rack.
Notes about baking: Since each oven cooks differently, I don't always trust them. When making muffins, I usually use a 6-cup muffin tin. It may take longer, but it also gives a more even bake.