Ladies and gents, we have an 8 month old! All I can say is, wow. These past 8 months have flown by faster than any of the other 351 months in my life, and there's no signs of them slowing down any time soon. Baby girl has grown so much. The other day I watched as she pulled herself up on the couch. She was so proud of herself as she started smashing on my computer, that was sitting way too close to the edge of the couch. Trouble.
If you missed our past monthly updates, you can find them here:
1 month | 2 months | 3 months | 4 months | 5 months | 6 months | 7 months
Pre-baby, I was notorious for carrying the biggest bag EVER, filled to the brim. I always liked to be prepared, "just in case". So when Morley was first born, I was on a mission to have the most well-packed diaper bag EVER. I needed to be prepared for every. single. situation that she could throw at us.
It's safe to say that in the past 8 months, the contents of our diaper bag have dramatically changed. It's been a bit of a learning curve. Now, 8 months later, we've pretty much fine tuned what we need and what was just taking up space. Sure, contents vary depending on the days' activities, and we definitely still have the "oh shit" moments once in a while - like when someone forgot to refill the wipes and we had the blowout of the century, or when someone is on the verge of a melt down in the middle of the grocery store and we didn't bring enough rice cookies. BUT, the good news is, we no longer carry 20 diapers, 10 pairs of sock or 5 wardrobe changes "just in case".
Let's take a look at what's in my diaper bag...
What's in My Diaper Bag?
MEC Tidelines Shoulder Bag - When searching for a diaper bag we both agreed that we wanted something gender neutral, inexpensive and practical. This led us to one of our favourite stores, MEC (similar to REI in the US). They have a great selection of bags, ranging all different purposes, brands and prices. The bag we chose was the MEC Tidelines Shoulder Bag, which is intended to be used as a day to day work bag. It is loaded with pockets both inside and out, and the inside compartment is nice and large. Plus is came in at a cost of only $55 Cdn. We were both sold! This bag gets quite a bit of use, but has stood up to the wear and tear. I love that once baby grows out of a diaper bag, either of us will be able to use this as our work bag.
Pro tip: When looking for a diaper bag, look outside the traditional baby stores, etc. You may be surprised at what you find!
1. Philips AVENT Powder Formula Dispenser - If you formula feed your baby, you must add this to you list of needs! This convenient unit carries three pre-measured portions of formula in separate compartments. When you're ready to feed, you just pour into the bottle with water. The compartment divider can also be removed and turned into a snack container or bowl.
2. Philips AVENT Naturals 9oz Bottle - When building our registry, I researched baby bottles like there's no tomorrow, and these had the best reviews. The wide, breast-shaped nipple on the Natural bottle promotes natural latch-on so you can easily combine breastfeeding and bottle feeding, and the innovative twin valve anti-colic slow-flow nipple helps infants feed comfortably and easily. The BPA-free Naturals line comes in 4 oz and 9 oz sizes.
3. Baby Mum-Mums - These rice biscuits are perfect for introducing solid food to your baby! Made especially for teething babies, these biscuits dissolve easily in your child's mouth and are sized perfectly for the small hand of your child to hold on to, helping develop their coordination. They are made with premium Japonica rice and other simple, all natural ingredients, egg-free, peanut-free and gluten-free baby diet. Original, Vegetable, Banana, Carrot, Apple & Pumpkin and Organic.
4. Gerber Graduates Rest Easy® Spoons, 5-Count* - Each Rest Easy spoon has a built-in support that helps keep germs off the spoon and food off the table. The soft tip and spatula bowl help wipe food from baby's mouth and the long handles are perfect for getting the last few scoops from a deep jar or bowl. These spoons are BPA-free, dishwasher safe and recommended for babies 4 months and older. They also act as a great distraction tool!
(Not pictured) PC Organics Strained Baby Food - We normally make our own baby food, but for those times we're not home at dinner time, we turn to PC Organics. These convenient squeeze packs come in a variety of flavours, and at $1, are extremely affordable.
5. Philips AVENT BPA-Free Pacifiers (6-18 months) - These orthodontic, collapsible and symmetrical nipples respect the natural development of baby's palate, teeth and gums. They are made of a smooth, transparent, easy to clean silicone and are taste and odour-free. The nipple is strong, long-lasting and won''t become misshapen or discoloured over time.
6. Aleva Naturals Bamboo Toy & Pacifier Wipes - These extra strong, ultra-soft wipes contain a unique, baby safe formula that is made with natural and organic Ingredients and can be used to safely wipe toys, surfaces, pacifiers, bottles, nipples and more! The compact package is designed to fit neatly in any diaper bag, purse or pocket and is a must for babies on the go. The wipes are made of bamboo fibbers that are safe, gentle and 100% biodegradable in 21 days! Aleva Naturals offers a range of products, from maternity to baby skincare.
7. JOHNSON’S Baby Hand & Face Wipes - These wipes were designed to gently and effectively remove dirt and germs from baby’s delicate hands and face anywhere, anytime. Made with the NO MORE TEARS formula, they are alcohol-free and as gentle on baby as pure water. The compact package is designed to fit neatly in any diaper bag, purse or pocket and is another must for babies on the go!
8. Huggies Little Movers Diapers - These diapers are perfect for the on the move baby. Little Movers diapers have double grip strips and a unique, contoured shape so baby can explore more with a comfy fit that lasts.
9. Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes with Clutch 'n Clean Carrying Case, 32-Count* - This wipes case is easy to tuck in to your diaper bag when you're on the go. With a variety of trendy designs available, it has an easy dispensing flip-top lid and strap for carrying.
(Not pictured) Playtex Diaper Genie Portable Diaper Bag Dispenser* - Now you can avoid the unnecessary mess of dirty diapers when you are on the go with this portable, compact and easy to use bag dispenser. It kind of reminds me of doggy poo bags, but you'll be thankful for the lavender scent when baby decides to have a blow out while running errands.
10. Safety 1st Deluxe Healthcare and Grooming Kit* - When we're going to be out for a big part of the day, or even staying overnight somewhere, I make sure to pack this kit in our diaper bag. The Kit contains the essential health and grooming items, including a comb and brush, nasal aspirator, thermometer, nail clippers and more, and its zippered compartments help keep the items where you need them.
11. Infant Tylenol Grape 24mL - You never know when a fever will strike, so it's always good to be prepared. This Tylenol is a fast effective relief for fever and pain, and is suitable for children age infant to 23 months. The small vial and dispenser live in our Safety 1st Kit (above).
12. Mia the Lamb Teething Toy* - This teething toy provides a wonderful sensory experience for baby, with contrasting colours to provide visual stimulation, different textures to encourage tactile exploration through the hands and mouth and encourages baby to experiment with holding, grasping, and squeezing that develop hand-eye coordination and gross motor skills. Mia the Lamb is non-toxic and certified BPA-, PVC-, and Phthalate-free.
13. BeginAgain Bathtub Pal - Blue Diver - I will admit, this teething toy looks a bit like a dog toy, but it is one of Morley's favourites. Made from sustainably harvested natural rubber, this toy is easy for baby to hold and can be used for teething or as a bath toy.
14. aden+anais Swaddle Blankets - From day one, these swaddles have been one of my favourite baby items. The muslin material is durable, breathable and light-weight, and can be used as a stroller cover, burp cloth, nursing cover and swaddle. Morley is not a fan of sleeping on her back, which, at first, made sleep time a bit difficult. We finally learned that swaddling her before bed helps tremendously, and mom and dad are very thankful for that. Swaddles come in a variety of prints.
15. Carter's One-Piece PJs - With the chilly weather, my favourite pjs are the fleece zip-ups from Carter's. Carter's also has snap-up sleepers, but when you're exhausted and doing a midnight diaper change, possibly even in the dark, no one has time for snaps.
Pro tip: While Carter's sleepers are affordable to begin with, make sure to hit up the clearance racks, and don't forget to plan ahead for when baby is older. We found sleepers and other clothing items at a fraction of the price ($3-$4 each!) on the clearance rack.
What's in your diaper bag? Any items you can't go without? I'd love to hear!