4 strips of bacon
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 small white potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 oz clam juice
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 cups half and half cream, divided
13 oz chopped clams
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and set on paper towels to drain.
- In the same large pot, sauté celery and onion in the bacon drippings. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the potatoes, stock, clam juice, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup of half and half cream, until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil and cook, while stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half and half cream. Heat through, but do not allow soup to come to a boil.
- Ladle into serving bowls, sprinkling chopped green onions and crumbled crisp bacon over each serving.